Cart & Checkout

Ridgecroft

Ridgecroft

2009 this event has passed

For nearly 175 years, the stately home of Alexander Masterton stood as a welcoming destination for family and friends on the New York – White Plains post road.  It continued that treasured tradition on Sunday, November 9th, as more than 150 members of the Bronxville Historical Conservancy visited the registered historic landmark built in 1835 by one of Bronxville’s earliest residents, Alexander Masterton.

Masterton, stonecutter and New York City businessman, discovered the land upon which he built his estate while on a search at the Tuckahoe quarries for the perfect white marble to repair the war-damaged dome of the Capitol in Washington, D.C.  Originally built as a summer home, the Masterton family became so enamored of the house and surrounding land, they made it their permanent residence and working farm. During the next 150 years, the house remained in the hands of Masterton family heirs, who greatly contributed to the development of the area that would eventually become incorporated as the Village of Bronxville.

Known as “Ridgecroft,” the classic Greek revival home is believed to have been designed by Masterton himself.  The wood-framed, clapboard structure that sits on a foundation of Tuckahoe marble once had two parlors, five bedrooms, staff quarters on the third floor and an original kitchen in the basement.   Dale Hanson Walker, the Conservancy’s House Tour Chair (whose family once lived in “Ridgecroft”) noted that the home has been enhanced in each century for modern living, yet has maintained its historical integrity.