The Ernest Quantrell House
2000 this event has passed
Sagamore Park was a residential development north of Lawrence Park that was created by a syndicate of local citizens. Two pairs of stone gateposts with lanterns were placed at the park’s two entrances on Avon Road, columns and lanterns that have been restored by the Conservancy. The park encompassed property that had been used in 1909 for the famous Westchester Historical Pageant that was produced by village residents to raise money to build Lawrence Hospital. One of the early houses was 5 Leonard Road, commissioned by Frank Gates, a well-known stage set designer and scenic artist, whose friend, George Licht, designed a somewhat modest stucco home in the “Old English” style. In 1918, Ernest and Lulu Quantrell, art collectors and philanthropists, bought the house, and in 1929, the Quantrells retained Lewis Bowman to remodel the structure. Bowman transformed it into a striking Elizabethan estate by sheathing the exterior in half-timbering and expanding and significantly renovating the interior. Of particular interest in the interior is a log cabin room built to replicate the Quantrells’ Adirondack cabin. Ernest Quantrell, who served on the Bronxville Library board for almost two decades, donated some of his art works to the library’s collection. His widow lived a total of 65 years in the house.
Architect: George C. Licht (1911); Lewis Bowman (1929)